Thursday, 13 April 2017
Davis Gillett Mottern & Sims LLC is proud to announce the addition of Robert R. Joseph as a partner in the firm’s Corporate Practice Group. Rob is a graduate of Rhodes College as well as Emory University School of Law. From 1998 through 2005, Rob was an associate in the Corporate, Technology, and Healthcare practice groups of two large Atlanta firms, where he served as outside counsel for several small and medium-sized technology companies.
Rob has represented clients in numerous venture capital and mergers and acquisitions transactions, ranging in size from very small to well over $100 million. Most recently Rob was a partner in the Corporate and Securities Group at Hill, Kertscher, & Wharton primarily working with venture capital, securities, mergers, acquisitions, general business contracting, and licensing for technology-related companies.
Rob is well respected in this field, being a member of the State Bar of Georgia, Corporate and Banking and Technology Law Sections since 1998, a member of the Corporate Code Revision Committee since 2003, and also being selected as Georgia Super Lawyer – Rising Star in 2009.
We are honored to have Rob join as a part of our team.
More about Robert Joseph:
Rob routinely advises corporate clients with a range of matters that span the life of a company from formation and raising seed money through growth financings and exit events. He also represents companies and investors as outside general counsel, handling all legal issues including employment, licensing, reseller agreements, vendor and customer contracts, intellectual property and dispute resolution. Rob’s clients trust him to give honest, practical and multi-level advice, and to be an all-around trusted counselor.
Previously, Rob worked at Hill, Kertscher and Wharton, LLP from 2005 – 2017; Morris, Manning and Martin, LLP from 2000 – 2005; and Hunton and Williams, LLP from 1998 – 2000. He began his career as a law clerk to Judge Wilber D. Owens, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia from 1996 – 1998.
- Software, Hardware and Information Technology
- Hedge Funds and Investment Advisors
- Healthcare Technology
- Restaurant and Concept Branding
- Food Manufacturing and Agribusiness
- Consulting, Marketing and Professional Services
- Past 3 years’ total transaction value is more than $100,000,000 ranging from $200,000 to more than $30,000,000
- Represent leading regional distributor to and manager of mid-level retail automotive-related businesses selling assets to strategic industry acquirer
- Represented hedge fund purchasing another fund of funds and mutual fund
- Represented agribusiness monetizing exclusive USDA patent license in merger with subsidiary of multinational conglomerate
- Represented hardware technology company as outside general counsel, as well as in numerous debt and equity financings totaling over $20 million
- Act as outside general counsel for all corporate, information technology contracting and employment matters to several technology services companies
- Represented sole owner of successful software as a service business in selling business to existing management in $10,000,000 plus seller-financed management buyout
- Assist in formation of businesses including choice of entity (corporation, limited liability company, S-corporation), governing documents, shareholder agreements and operating agreements, and critical contracts to protect intellectual property
- Represent numerous companies in creating all types of equity compensation plans (ISOs, NonQualified Stock Options, Restricted Stock, Profits Interests and Phantom Equity)
- Represent companies in employment related matters including offer letters, employment and independent contractor agreements, employment disputes, and special situations
- Represent many IT companies in licensing, master services agreements, reseller agreements and similar contracts
- Represent individuals in any of the above
- Emory University School of Law, Juris Doctor, with distinction, 1996
- Articles Editor, Emory Law Journal, 1995-1996
- Rhodes College, Memphis Tennessee, Bachelor of Arts, 1992
Professional and Community Involvement:
- Easter Seals North Georgia, Board Member, 2016 – present
- AllMeds Inc., Oak Ridge, Tennessee, Member, Board of Directors, 2005 – present; Strategic Development and Compensation Committees, 2008 – present
- State Bar of Georgia, Corporate and Banking and Technology Law Sections 1998 – present
- State Personnel Board (overseeing Georgia state employee Merit System), 2005 – present; Chair, 2009 – 2010, 2014
- State Bar of Georgia, Corporate Code Revision Committee, 2003- 2012
- Federalist Society, Atlanta Lawyers Chapter, Executive Committee, 2003 – 2012
Awards and Honors:
- Georgia Trend Legal Elite, 2012 – 2016
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star by Law and Politics and Atlanta Magazine, 2009
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- “Should Interests in Limited Liability Companies Be Deemed Securities: The Resurgence of Economic Reality in Investment Contract Analysis,” 44 Emory Law Journal 1591, Fall 1995
- “Buy/Sell Agreements”, Speech to Exit Planning Institute, Atlanta Chapter, January 2017
- “Shareholder and Buy/Sell Agreements”, Speech to American Society of Women CPAs, Atlanta Chapter, August 2016